Everything You Ever Wanted to Know About Brazilian Waxing
Brazilian bikini waxes were introduced to New York in 1987 by seven Brazilian-born sisters (the J Sisters). Brazilian wax popularity grew quickly, becoming nationally known in just a few years.
Brazilian waxes differ from regular bikini waxes because hair is removed in the front, back and everything in between. During a Brazilian wax, a center strip is typically left in the front, but some men and women opt for everything removed.
Brazilian Waxing at Body Beautiful Spa
At Body Beautiful Spa in Phoenix, expert Brazilian waxing is provided for both men and women by licensed, experienced aestheticians. Body Beautiful Day Spa recommends Tend Skin Liquid for post-Brazilian skin care after both men’s and women’s Brazilian waxing.
8 Brazilian Wax FAQs
Whether you’re a man or woman, here are some do's and don'ts:
- If you are very sensitive in the bikini area take an ibuprofen, aspirin or acetaminophen 30-45 minutes before your appointment.
- You’ll also want to skip the gym. Avoid any intense cardio for 24 hours post-wax — it can lead to irritated bumps from sweat trapped against the skin under tight-fitting clothes.
- Don’t use any lotions in the Brazilian Wax area.
- Avoid sunbathing, using self-tanners or the tanning bed for at least 24 hours before and after a Brazilian wax.
- Shower and lightly exfoliate your entire Brazilian Wax area right before your appointment using warm, not hot water. Make sure you’re extra clean.
- For the ladies: Your skin is often more sensitive the time near your period, and waxing can be more painful than normal. Be sure to schedule your appointment no closer than a couple of days before or after your period. Understandably, we won’t perform a Brazilian Wax while you’re having your period.
Yes, it does hurt some, but each person, whether man or woman, will have areas that are more and less sensitive. You can compare it to removing a band-aid from a hairy area of the body. Your tattoo hurt much worse. The area may remain a little pink for up to 24 hours if you have sensitive skin.
Usually your Brazilian men’s or women’s wax will last about 4 weeks for the average person to keep it really smooth. Some men and women are comfortable with up to 6 weeks of growth. Remember that if the hair gets over 1 inch long it is harder to work with.
Usually 2-3 weeks growth is enough in the bikini area for a men’s or women’s Brazilian waxing.
If the hair in the area to be waxed has never been clipped or shortened it would be OK if you trim it back to 1/4 to 1/2 inch long. This is a comfortable length to be removed by waxing for both men’s and women’s Brazilians.
No, there should be no stubble from the waxing the hair is removed not cut off. It will grow back slowly and softer as the ends are not blunt or scratchy when it does grow back. Not all hair grows back at the same rate so that keeps the hair less dense until it is all grown back. The only time the hair might break and create stubble is if it breaks because the growth direction cannot be determined.
After your waxing treatment you should wait at least 3 hours to shower to allow the pores of the skin in the waxed area to close. On the second day after your Brazilian you should start to exfoliate the waxed area. This is done to insure the waxed area does not get any ingrown hairs. With more waxing treatments the hair will grow back slower, finer and with less density.
Yes, it is possible to wax several areas at the same time and many men and women like to do just that. When you make your appointment be sure to mention all the areas you would like to have waxed. This will insure the preparation is completed for your Brazilian waxing as well as any other waxing needs.